Tuesday, March 07, 2006

the pulitzer goes to...

Was inadvertently scrolling through my resume yday and saw Reading under the personal interests section. I know youre thinking my reading wouldve had to consist of books with a lot of pictures. Wellonly mostlynot entirely J It’s a good thing they don’t have reference checks for stuff like that, else I’d be hard-pressed to come up with a substantial list atleast books that figure on any best-seller lists of repute. My latest, was at the behest of a friend. Was given the set of four (or is it five) books from the series as punishment for accepting that I’d not read any of them. Finished The Chamber of Secrets yesterdaynice to be able to wave a wand at anything that bugs ya and be done with it.

Hogwarts did bring back memories of vast expanses of purple heather, gurgling crystal-clear brooks, fresh-baked bread with golden pats of butter with huge servings of pink ham. And yeahfarmhouses and picket fences and camping! For the uninitiated, these are vivid scenes from the literary works of one of my fav authors; Enid Blyton J five find-outers and dog, famous five, secret seventhe whole lot! Graduated (if you can call it that) to the three investigators, hardy boys though, for me, they don’t hold a candle to the mystery of the hidden house from the five find-outers series J

Archers Shall we tell the president and The godfather were my initiation into the big time (classification based on # of pages, not literary worth). Have thoroughly enjoyed Alistair Mclean amazing ability to paint gruesome scenes in graphic detail, James Hadley Chase crisp, short and sexy stories, Frederick Forsyth fantastic research and detail, Sidney Sheldon(gave up on those a long time ago) literary equivalent to hindi potboilers of yore, Jeffrey Archer for characters with the most depth and of course, Wodehouse refreshing as the morning coffee.

Anywaymy all-time top-10 list (now this is off the top of my head)

1. Kane and Abel
2. The Negotiator
3. The Fourth Protocol
4. The Godfather
5. Theres always a price tag
6. Where eagles dare
7. The Fourth Estate
8. Empress of Blandings
9. The Satan Bug
10. Guns of Navarone

And I wonder why I’m so clueless J

No comments: